William W. Pulos
Mr. Pulos enjoys a very successful, diverse professional career. A trial lawyer by training, Mr. Pulos returned to his hometown of Alfred, New York following his graduation from Albany Law School and opened a general law practice by hanging out his shingle on Main Street.
He is likely the only person born and raised in Alfred to have graduated from law school and returned to open a bricks and mortar law practice in Alfred. He is the most senior attorney to have returned to their native Allegany County and start a law practice from scratch.
Since 1980, Mr. Pulos has achieved many professional milestones in his career, which include representation of a broad cross segment of society in a variety of forums. He has numerous achievements, awards, resolutions and a variety of verdicts, settlements and judgments to his credit. His credentials are first rate.
Attorney Pulos has achieved the highest Peer Review Professional designation from Martindale-Hubbell, the oldest legal industry information service in the nation since 1868. M-H has certified that Mr. Pulos’s peers rate him as with the highest rating for Legal Ability and Ethical Standards nationwide, achieved by less than 14% of all lawyers in the United States.
The process leading to this recognition involves a rigorous evaluation that measures adherence to professional standards of conduct and ethics, reliability, diligence and other criteria relevant to the discharge of professional responsibilities.
Mr. Pulos has been judged by his peers to demonstrate superior 1) Legal Knowledge, 2) Analytical Capabilities, 3) Judgment, 4) Communication Ability and 5) Legal Experience.
In addition to his legal training, experience, and results, perhaps the most defining aspect of Mr. Pulos’ career and his ability representing people has been his dedication to community and public service. Mr. Pulos has dedicated a large portion of his life to community, college and civic service for the public good.
He served as an attorney for local town and village governments for a combined 68 years of service and taught many years as a university professor; all without pension, insurance or benefits.
Mr. Pulos donated over 4000 hours of his time to coaching and managing the ALFRED RUGBY CLUB, an intercollegiate college club he co-founded at his alma mater of ALFRED UNIVERSITY in 1985 and for which he coached 16 seasons. It is in this position that Mr. Pulos was able to help shape the lives of tomorrow’s leaders while helping them navigate the rigors of college life.
In addition, Mr. Pulos is a published author and internationally recognized humanitarian. In all these capacities, he served as a volunteer without payment or remuneration.
In short, Mr. Pulos is the type of lawyer that many people have chosen to help improve their lives. He and his firm are ready to discuss your case.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury, Automobile and Construction Accidents
- Wills, Probate and Estates
- Real Estate
- State of New York, 1982
- U.S. District Court Western District of New York, 1982
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1987
- Albany Law School Union University, Albany, New York
- J.D. – June, 1980
- Honors: Board of Trustees Practice Court Prize, 1980
- Honors: Capital District Trial Lawyers Association Prize, 1980
- Honors: Senior Prize Trial First Team
- Alfred University, Alfred, NY, USA
- B.A. magna cum laude – 1977
- Honors: Graduation Honors, Department of Economics
- Major: Economics
- Certified College Rugby Coach, USA RUGBY (www.usarugby.org), 2010
- N.Y.S. Board of Equalization and Assessment Hearing Officer 1988-1991
- U.S.A. FmHA Designated Attorney 1983 -1989
- N.Y.S. Small Claims Assessment Review Hearing Officer 1983 – 1987
- Real Estate Broker, New York State, 1983-1986
- Certified College and High School Swimming Official 1973-1979
- Mr. Pulos online library: http://free.yudu.com/library/61196/wpulos-s-Library
- Professor of Law (Adjunct), Alfred University, 9 years
- Professor of Business Administration, SUNY Alfred, 2 years
- Tutor, Empire State College at Alfred, 4 years
- Speaker, Personal Finance, Alfred University
- Speaker, Banking and Investments, Alfred University
- Speaker, Physical Education, Alfred University
- Speaker, Commercial Law, Alfred State College
- Speaker, Real Estate Licensing, Alfred State College
Honors and Awards
- MARTINDALE HUBBELL LAWYER RATING – AV PREEMINENT
- HIGHEST POSSIBLE RATING FOR LEGAL ETHICS AND LEGAL ABILITY
- United States Jaycees Outstanding Young Men of America – twice
- Who’s Who in American Universities and Colleges
- Who’s Who in the East
- Who’s Who in American Finance and Industry – 25th Ed.
- Who’s Who in Emerging Leaders of America – 1st Ed.
- Who’s Who in American Law – 9 times
- Who’s Who in America – 9 times
- Lions Club International District 20 E-1 Leadership Award
- Lions Club International Humanitarian Melvin Jones Award
Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, 38 Years
- American Bar Association, 32 Years
- American Association for Justice, 32 Years
- New York Academy of Trial Lawyers, 5 Years
- Steuben County (N.Y.) Bar Association, 39 Years
- New York State Bar Association Lawyer Referral Program, 24 Years
- Alfred (N.Y.) Lions Club, 12 Years
- Alfred Station (N.Y.) Fire Department, 13 Years
- Alfred Rugby Club, Co-Founder and Coach, 19 seasons
- Alfred Almond High School Alumni Association, President April 2015 – 2016
Past Employment Positions
- Alfred University, Professor of Law (Adjunct), 9 Years
- SUNY Alfred, Professor of Business Administration, 2 Years
- Town of Alfred, Attorney, 18 Years
- Village of Almond, Attorney, 15 Years
- New York State Department of Tax and Finance, Appointed Tax Attorney, 8 Years
- Town of West Almond, Attorney, 11 Years
- Town of Almond, Attorney, 8 Years
- Town of West Union, Attorney, 6 Years
- Town of Birdsall, Attorney, 5 Years
- Town of Jasper, Attorney, 3 Years
- Town of Allen, Attorney, 1992